Thursday, March 29, 2012

Shucks...ers

Ahhh.....a day in the life of an intern.

The day began at around 6 am, jumping out of bed, throwing some clothes on, a smear of makeup, scarfing down some eggs, and heading to the clubhouse.  By seven, we were organizing our tournament fields, packing player tournament information packets, riding the course, taking photos, and entering data.

Our operations crew spent the entire day outside, marking the course, setting up banners, putting up stake and rope, mapping out tent locations...all the hard outdoor work.  By the time they were done, you could wipe the grime off them!  Thank goodness my teammates work as hard as they do, both communications and operations, because these tournaments couldn't be run without them.

Working hard definitely has its benefits.  The Savannah Quarters Country Club invited all of our AJGA staff to attend a little oyster roast this evening.  (Before today, I had never heard of an oyster roast.  Basically, they put these giant wooden tables with holes in the middle for easy dumping out on the patio, load hundreds of oysters onto your table, spread tabasco, cocktail sauce, oyster shuckers, and saltine crackers.)  It was awesome.  No one was shy - we just dug right in!  Empty oyster shells were flying over drinks into the trash abyss while people were reaching over each other for the rest of the goodies/toppings.  A couple of my teammates were pros!  They had definitely been around oyster shuckers before.
Max, Aaron, Ally, Tournament Director Mark and
Regional Director Ryan all in on the fun.
I haven't had too many oysters in my day, but I was not about to miss out on al the fun.  I joined in, but I always went for the oysters that were easiest to open.  I was rewarded sometimes by some giant squishy creatures, but Ben insisted that the harder the thing was to open, the more meat you would be given. 
Me and my oyster!

After the oyster fun, we were able to talk with some of the club members and watch the sun go down.  Before the mosquitoes started eating us alive (don't worry, I slapped a few of the buggers resulting in blood splattering on my leg.  Pretty picture, right?), we were able to enjoy the sunset.  Not a bad end to a productive day.  
Sun setting off the 18th green.  I could
definitely get used to this.

Early day tomorrow.  We have to be at the course ready to go by 6 am tomorrow.  I need to get some much needed rest before our Junior-Am and Practice Rounds tomorrow.  Hope you all had a great day, wherever you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment