Thursday, March 22, 2012

Getting the hang of it

I am definitely feeling much, MUCH better about the equipment, technology and programs that we are going to be using as communications interns.  The most difficult program for me to wrap my head around has been InfoScore, a program used by the AJGA to pretty much do absolutely anything related to tee times, pairings, rankings, scoring, etc.  In all honesty, this program can do things that I didn't even know existed in the game of golf.  Although I can't quite recall what those things are at the moment : ) Thank goodness we are going to be having a ton of help in our first two weeks on the road.

I am someone that when I am learning something new, I have to physically go through the steps.  In basketball, I needed to see plays run (visual) and I needed to physically walk-through the plays myself (kinesthetic).  Same with broadcasting.  When we were learning about the cameras and microphones, I needed to see how they operated, but I also needed to operate them myself.  Up until now, we have only been able to learn visually and somewhat kinesthetically with all of the programs and such.  (It is tough to just pretend we are at a tournament, but it's the best we can do).  So, today was great for me, because much of the staff put us to the test.  They set up a scenario, and we had to work through it by remembering how to download a logo into the right photo, or remember where to download player information from to load it into InfoScore.  (I am not expecting any of you to quite understand what I am talking about.  We have been learning about these programs for four 12 to 13 hour days, so they are quite extensive).

Tomorrow, we are putting our learning to the test.  The AJGA has set up a 'mock tournament' with staff members so that we can practice running an actual tournament.  I am SO thankful for this, because I am quite nervous about going out to our first tournament on our own.  My fellow communications intern Teddy has been through the internship before, so that makes me a little more confident.  Just knowing he's been through it and will be able to help me before I get the hang of it helps so much!

We get to practice everything.  Pace of play, scoring, starting players, photography, InfoScore, rulings...you name it.  (I worry that my lack of golf knowledge might affect my rulings!)  But the staff is going to be right there with us the whole way.  Lots of learning tomorrow.  They are predicting rain and thunderstorms...please no rain delay!!

I promise I will get some photos soon.  The headquarters, where we have been training everyday, are absolutely gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment