Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Trailers...WHAAAAAAT

I have been looking forward to this day of training for awhile.  The day we learn to drive with trailers.

First of all, the vehicles we get to drive are just absolutely beautiful.  Huge GMC 4-door extended-cab pickup trucks, and special edition GMC Yukons (they are manufactured specially for AJGA), and of course, the 16-foot to 18-foot enclosed trailer.  Beauties.

Now, for those of you who know me pretty well, you know that I helped my brothers with our little Galloway lawn mowing business in high school.  I took over when Ben when to school, and so I had plenty of experience driving our little trailer.  But nothing as big as this giant thing...

Anyway, they separated us into teams of 3, and we practiced driving the truck w/o the trailer, the Yukon w/o the trailer, the truck with the trailer, and backing up the trailer.  When it was my turn, they asked if I had ever driven with a trailer, and if I knew anything about driving a trailer.  I said yes, but my experience was with a much smaller trailer that was easier to maneuver and wasn't enclosed.  And so, I began my training.

We were trying to back into a parking spot pretty much at a 90 degree angle.  First try, I nailed it...no big deal : )  First try from the opposite direction - - you guessed it, nailed it!  When I got into the driver's seat that second time, the AJGA member helping us, Mark, just said, "I'm going to be quiet this time.  Why don't you teach me something?"  I was pumped.  Not too many things get me more excited than backing a giant trailer into a teeny spot.  Mission accomplished.

My team basically said I found myself a new job.  Not quite sure this is the one I want to keep for a long-term career.

In other news, we received our uniforms today!!  So, you know how earlier I was complaining about having to buy a ton of polos and modest length shorts...well, AJGA knows how to dress you, and dress you well.  Ralph Lauren Polo is probably the nicest golf attire I have seen yet (not that I have much experience in that department), but I am very impressed, and I feel VERY lucky to have been given these clothes.  

We were also given FootJoy Rain Gear, and 2 pairs of Under Armour shoes!!  Well, most of us were given 2 pair...my feet are apparently too large for UA to make shoes for.  A size 11, I mean really?  How many female athletes have gigantic feet?  It was pretty funny though.  So, I will be waiting a little longer for my second pair of shoes.  I was given a 10.5, and thank goodness, it does fit.  Can't wait to look sharp on that golf course in all of my new gear!
 
Early day tomorrow.  We have to depart the hotel by 6:45, and then getting to work at 7.  We are learning so much, I really hope I am able to remember it all.  More pictures to come soon.  The AJGA Headquarters are really something, and I can't wait to share it with you all!  

2 comments:

  1. Your brother would be so proud! Good for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, that was from Tori. I somehow though it would magically show my name :)

    ReplyDelete