Monday, March 26, 2012

Road Trip!

Team 2, my team, definitely got the best starting schedule.  We had Sunday off, and didn't have to leave Braselton until 11 this morning.  Lots of sleep!

Anyway, as soon as we pulled out of the Chateau Elan Resort, our trusty Garmin sent us right past I-85 and into the back country.  Away from Atlanta, and toward Athens.  For those of you who aren't very familiar with Georgia (this is still me), the supposedly quickest route to Savannah from Braselton is I-85 to I-16...I think.  Drove right past this easy route, and in the opposite direction.  Somehow, we ended up in the right place.

One of the possible routes to Savannah...
Not the one we took : )

The crew before we departed

About halfway between the middle of nowhere and the other side of nothing, we stopped for lunch.  We decided on Chili's, thinking it would be a decent sized meal for a decent price.  Not the case.  We are allowed to spend about $7 on lunches to stay within the AJGA budget.  For future reference, Chili's has slim pickin's for lunch specials.  We bailed on Chili's and walked across the parking lot to Subway, and ate a whole lot more for a whole lot less.  

I drove the second leg of the journey, and got us safely to the Savannah Quarters Country Club.  I'll have a picture tomorrow, but my goodness, I have never seen anything like it.  The golf courses out here make the country clubs back home look like shanteys.  I was in awe.  

Ally and I walked into the clubhouse, and it just smells clean.  I can't quite describe to you the exact smell, but it was clean, sparkly, and just downright lovely.  We went to the bathroom quick, and jeeze, that thing was a small house.  There was a television room, a really nice locker room with a table in the middle (we guessed it was for putting on makeup or jewelry) and then the actual bathroom.  It had everything.  Showers, lavatories (not bathrooms), and ladies, let me tell you, you would never be in trouble in this bathroom.  There was mouthwash, deodorant, a giant tub full of lady goods.  Gosh, you could pretty much go shopping in this bathroom.  It was heaven!  I could totally get used to this.

We didn't have too much work to do today.  Most of it was for us Comms interns.  We have a lot of expensive equipment that needs to be set up right away, mostly so it doesn't just sit in our cars outside.  So that was pretty much all we did was set up Headquarters and charge our electronics.  Only took about an hour I would guess.

I am excited ride the course a few times tomorrow.  We do this so that we can feel comfortable with the layout, and will be able to get to holes quickly if we are needed to do a ruling for a junior golfer.  I'll definitely take lots of pictures!



Front of Don's - Small Dive!
After we were all done at the course, we had a little downtime at the hotel, and then out for dinner.  Mark, our Tournament Director (TD), suggested Don's BBQ.  This place was awesome!  I always think the best food comes from the small, rough-around-the-edges places.  This was definitely one of those places.  

I ended up ordering the chopped BBQ Pork, and it was delicious! I wish I could have had two servings.  And the potato salad really hit the spot.  Tomatoes were juicy and lettuce was crisp.  

AND - I finally had my first hush puppy.  I really don't know how to describe what they are...Jonah, one of our assistant TD's, jokingly described it as a fried  casserole.  It's kind of this breaded-type consistency with a whole bunch of fried on top.  They were good, but they aren't something that I think I could eat on a regular basis.  But, I want to try just about every new food I can.  Are frog legs next??  Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Not too much else going on today.  Pretty chill day.  Really tired still and going to sleep well tonight!  I am excited/nervous for this week as my first real tournament is quickly approaching.  Wish me luck!
Hush Puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment