Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Goodbyes are starting

This is when it really starts to hit home that I am actually leaving...when I have to say goodbye.

It started this morning, on this blustery Tuesday, saying goodbye to my brother Ben.  I was lucky enough to see him (I was considering a last-minute trip to California but decided against it), and he wasn't sure when he'd be arriving from Bozeman for Spring Break.  Luckily, it worked out.  I cancelled my trip, and he and I were able to spend a few days together before he headed off to Portland to see his fiance, Tori.  It was a nice couple of days, but I had to say my final farewell this morning.

Next, it was time for babysitting.  Since about August, I have been watching this family consistently every Monday and Tuesday.  Three girls, 8th grade, 6th and 2nd, and they are great girls.  I have known this family for years; Mike and Kerrianne became our next-door neighbors when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, and I began babysitting soon after they had their oldest, Chelsea.  I don't see much of Chelsea (8th), as she is an accomplished ballerina and has class in Coeur d'Alene every evening.  I spend most of my time with Katie (6th) and Audrey (2nd).  These girls actually do their homework and get ready for ballet/cross country/track by themselves!  Not to mention finishing chores.  They only needed to be told once (usually :) ).  I was impressed, as most of the kids I hung out with in college still needed to be told what to do constantly...

Anyway, today was the last day I would be babysitting for this family before I leave.  It's tough saying goodbye after spending so much time with them, helping with homework, making lunches, driving the girls to practice and getting to watch them run and dance and play.  I was happy though that I was able to say goodbye to all of them; Audrey, Katie, Chelsea, Kerrianne and Mike all were there.  Thanks for a great year!!

These are just the first couple of goodbyes.  Next it's my hometown friends (I'm having lunch with a good girlfriend tomorrow), then the rest of my family.

Countdown to Atlanta, AJGA and the next chapter of my life: 4 days, 15 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment