Monday, April 2, 2012

Marathon


Oh my gosh – I didn’t know what a long day was until this weekend.  Remember a couple of posts ago how I thought 6:45 to 7:45 was a long day?  Not even close.  Try 6:45 to 10:15.  Now that is long.

This past weekend was a complete success!  The AJGA Junior at Savannah Quarters finished without a glitch.  Well, that’s not completely true…we did have a rain delay on Saturday for about two hours, and then I almost wasn’t able to get quotes from our Champions for the microsite championship story.  But never fear, the sophistication of our technology helped me track down our juniors within fifteen minutes, grab a few great quotes, and finish my story.  Flying by the seat of my pants…I learned my lesson though!  Grab the juniors RIGHT after they receive their trophy and take their pictures.  I’m going to follow those kids around like a shadow.

Other than a few minor bumps that were taken care of without delay, this tournament went great.  It was a really fun experience too. 

I am learning a lot, especially with the sport-specific technology that the AJGA uses.  I have learned how to use their golfing program InfoScore.  This program essentially creates all of the documents that are used to organize the entire tournament.  It helps to upload information onto the website, create tee times for all of the participants, keep track of scores, generate media stories…you name it.  I kept telling my mentor Kristi that I was just in awe, fascinated by all that this program could do and how everything was connected. 

For example, I could update something on InfoScore, go to our Administration page, check a little box and voila! – updated players scores, in order from lowest to highest, are on our website.  Check out everything that I updated on our website!

http://www.ajga.org/MicroSites/pages/tournResults.asp?TN=2012005&RD=2 

I have to admit, the amount of information that I was learning this weekend was a little overwhelming.  There were just so many different things to remember to print off, copy, and give to players/coaches/parents.  Saturday night was probably the most stressful, as we had a few technological glitches.  I was really proud of myself though because I did not lose my cool – I kept control and figured out what to do.  Guess that means I’m growing up! 

Anyway, we had another round to prepare for, so we had to re-pair players for Sunday based on their first round scores.  We had to upload all the first-round scores to the website, upload photos, write the first round recap story, email the media, update our Twitter and Facebook pages, update the media and college coaches packets – I can’t remember what else.  We have checklists to follow because there is too much to remember otherwise.  We were there on Saturday until about 9, but I have to say, it was really rewarding to see all of our hard work making the tournament run smoothly. 

So far I really love this internship.  During the tournament play, all of us interns are helping rules officiate, keep track of pace of play, taking pictures…really just doing what we can to ensure a smooth round.  I haven’t had the task of starting players yet though, and I am a little nervous for that.  Looking over a few of the names of our juniors, I have absolutely NO idea how to pronounce them.  And I am the type of person that, when I think a name is pronounced a certain way, my brain struggles to pronounce it any other way.  I’m guessing I will start at least once at this next tournament – this is going to be interesting : )  Wish me luck!!

Ok, so now onto some of the other fun: driving.  After the final round on Sunday, we drove straight to Jacksonville, Florida.  So my state count was up to two.  We downed a meal at Waffle House (I am getting VERY familiar with their menu), then headed to bed.  We needed to rest up for our 17, yes SEVENTEEN, hour drive to Bryan, Texas today.  Someone told me this was the most desolate drive.  Excuse me?  There were green trees lining the highway from Jacksonville to Beaumont.  Try driving in the 100 degree heat from Flagstaff to L.A.  There is nothing but desert and heat.  I think I've got them beat in the desolate driving category.
Our route from Savannah to Bryan.  We
made it to Beaumont

This was what I was looking at all day...the back of
that giant white trailer.
Since our long hours and tough work has prevented me from exercising for the past three days, I made a pact with myself that I would get up and run.  And so, 5:10 am rolls around and it’s time to lace up my running shoes and put on dirty exercise gear.  (We haven’t had time to do laundry yet, and I only brought three exercise outfits, so you can imagine we have to make due.)  20 minutes and three miles later, I’m felt much better than when I woke up.

We departed on time at 7 am and we were off.  With the sun rising in the rearview mirror, we started our long trek toward Texas.  The drive doesn’t seem as long as you would think though.  I love it because we are driving places I have never been like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana.  State count is up to five now.  And my teammates can attest to this, I went ballistic when we were driving on I-10 through the swamps of Louisiana.  This was insane!  I felt like we were driving over a lake.  A gigantic, never-ending body of water.  The swamps are so interesting because the vegetation just grows directly out of the water.  There aren’t any visible shores, land breaks, nothing that I am used to.  I think that’s why I was so ridiculously fascinated by it all. 
The Swamp!!!!

Do you see the road on the left side?  That's I-10 and
it was like that for probably 5 or 6 miles
Any minute, the Swamp People cast might jump out of the trees, missing teeth and all, and hand me some fried alligator.  One could only hope.

I was also really excited driving through Baton Rouge.  My old assistant college coach is now an assistant for the women’s team at LSU, and it was cool to see where he was living now and working.  I wish we could have stopped to say hello, but we needed to keep on schedule.  Baton Rouge seems likes a pretty cool city, different from UCLA and L.A., and I hope he has adjusted well.  Can’t be too bad – the LSU women’s team made it to the NCAA tournament this year.  Congrats Tony!

Still driving as I write this draft on my computer.  Watching the sunset out of the passenger side window, crossing another swamp, and inching closer to Texas.  I am excited to get working on this next tournament, and I am excited to experience a new city, some great BBQ, and a packed tournament.

Oh, and we were able to watch the National Championship after all...boring game at first but thank goodness it picked up!

No comments:

Post a Comment