Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Don't Mess With Texas

Today was a blur.

It began around 5:15 am when I got my behind out of bed to go for a run.  I know that I most likely won't be able to this week, so I'm trying to get in a few miles whenever I can.  But, for some reason, the Holiday Inn Express in Beaumont, Texas, has a thing about energy preservation in the exercise room.  By this I mean they have motion detection lights.  You would think that this wouldn't be a problem, since by definition you would be moving in an exercise room.

Well, this clever little contraption was located on the wall right next to the door, and all of the exercise equipment, such as the treadmill I was running on, was on the other side of the room.  Apparently I don't move enough when I run, because about .75 miles into it, I was in the dark.  I also found out that this little motion detector thing seemed to control the air conditioning as well.  I don't think I have every sweat so much in such a short period of time.  Literally dripping within about two minutes.  Little flecks of sweat were flicked in every direction as they jumped off my elbows.  Gross.

This is one of the entrances to the course.
Eventually, I left this sad little room and got ready for the day.  We were on the road by seven, and arrived in Bryan around 10:45 or so.  Julie, our Tournament Director, met us and took us on a tour of the course facilities, another gorgeous place.  This is the same course both men's and women's golf teams use from Texas A&M.  I have to admit, even though my family comes from Longhorn Nation, these are pretty snazzy facilities.  I wouldn't mind practicing there everyday.

We got right to work.  There is so much more to do for this tournament because it has a Qualifier round, a Junior-Am, and three tournament rounds.  Our last tournament in Savannah will seem like a breeze compared to this.  We only had a Junior-Am and two rounds.  And, our tournament field is 132 instead of 78.  But, we have been through a tournament, and we have great staff surrounding all of us interns, so I know we will run a really smooth tournament.  Not to mention this is Julie's third or fourth time running this event over Easter weekend, so she definitely knows what she's doing.

We ended this evening around 7, and then we headed to dinner.  We were meeting a few of the people who have helped us plan the event at a great steakhouse.  We were all hungry, and there were already appetizers when we arrived.  No one in my group is shy, so of course we stuffed food in our faces as soon as we sat down.  After chowing down on fried Jalapeños, I snuck a peek at the menu.  Before I left my mom told me that I needed to try frog legs.  I will try anything once, for the most part, and so I have promised myself that I'll try them.  These frog legs were about $18 though, so I thought I'd conduct my food experiment on a less expensive froggy.  Instead, I ordered a steak.  Can't beat that.




If you all have been following the weather or news, I'm sure you know that Texas has been getting its fair share of severe weather.  Dallas had a few tornados touch down today, but no worries, we're about 3 1/2 hours from any of that.  But we are enjoying an awesome thunderstorm right now.  I haven't seen lighting like this probably since the last time I was in Texas.  I wish I could just sit outside and watch the storm pass by.


I'm a little cranky at the moment...can't go to sleep because I have to wait on a load of laundry.  This is never fun.  But, on the bright side, I will have some clean clothes tomorrow.  I'm on my last pair of tidy whities...TMI, but I had to share : ) 

1 comment: