Saturday, August 4, 2012

Warsaw, Indiana...wait a second, isn't Warsaw in Poland?

Only two more tournaments left.  Where has the last six months gone??

Last week was a lot of fun, despite seemingly being in the middle of nowhere.  Cue Warsaw, Indiana.

Warsaw isn't so bad - sunrise off the 18th tee
The most difficult part was getting to Warsaw.  After my tournament in Colts Neck the week prior, I started my travel to Warsaw on Wednesday, and I was supposed to arrive in Warsaw that same day.  Well, Chicago had different plans.  My flight ended up being cancelled from Chicago to Fort Wayne, so I spent the night in Chi-Town.  This ended up being a blessing in disguise.  I was able to relax, workout Wednesday night and Thursday morning, do my laundry, catch my 11:30 am flight, and get to Warsaw no problem.  That extra night off really did wonders.

Now, upon arriving, I was surprisingly impressed.  Although it was a small, SMALL airport, they really try to make you feel a part of something as soon as you arrive.  There was a nice man handing out sugar cookies (I knew we would become quick friends), and I just as quickly discovered that Fort Wayne (the place I flew into) was the birthplace of the Vera Bradley line.  For those of you who know me, you know I'm a sucker for patterned wallets, handbags, and luggage.  I was pleasantly surprised by Fort Wayne.

After I was picked up at the airport by one of my coworkers, we drove the hour or so to Fort Wayne.  Our tournament director told us we had the rest of the day off, so we decided to stop at Steak n'Shake for some milkshakes.  This was the start to a junk food filled week.  (The shakes at Steak n'Shake are the most wonderful treats in the Midwest...save for the giant ice cream sandwich we were given, but we'll get to that later).

I ended up having my own hotel room in Warsaw, which was amazing, AND I was able to workout every single day but one.  I was feeling much better with all this ME time!

Friday was a pretty easy day, and then I was rewarded Friday night with a day off Saturday.  Could this get any better?? My own room and pretty much four straight days of simplicity.

Saturday I slept in, worked out, got some work done, and was able to see The Dark Knight Rises.  Despite all the awful things that have been associated with that movie, it was great.  I loved it and would recommend seeing it.

I have my game face on, but I couldn't
even finish that sucker.
The week went pretty smoothly.  It is getting to be that time when everyone is leaving for school or other jobs, and so I have started filling in as a communications intern, so I have been able to do some of the same jobs I was doing in the spring.  This week, I was on photography.  Let me tell you what, I took photos on Tuesday for eight whole hours...straight.  We have to do player photography every week on the day of the first round, and this week was a 144 player field ---- so I took photos of every single player, and it took eight hours.  Long day!!  But I tell you what, I am sure getting impressively skilled at taking photos of junior golfers taking their tee shots.  I can't tell you when that will come in handy again, but I know I'm great at it.

Now, I will tell you about those giant ice cream sandwiches from earlier.  From the moment we arrived at the course on Friday, I have been hearing stories about these treats.  I had heard we would be getting them on Tuesday, then it changed to Wednesday, and so on and so forth.  I felt like I would never be united with my supposed better half EVER.  Well, the time came, and it was totally worth the wait.  These sandwiches were pancaked with humongous chocolate chip cookies on either side with soft serve at least and inch and a half thick in the middle.  Yum.  I hope you all get to experience this heaven at some point.

Warsaw really has grown on me.  I don't know when I'll ever be back, but I know that you can definitely have a good time there.  Now, I have made it to Longmont, Colorado, where there are an abundance of Dumb and Dumber quotes that come to mind.... : )

The Tunnel at the Detroit airport on my way to Denver



No comments:

Post a Comment