Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Living in fast forward


I can’t believe it has already been about two weeks since my time in Spokane.  I have already finished two more tournaments, and I only have three left with my internship at the AJGA.  It is crazy to me that it is already almost August, it is crazy to me that I have already helped to run more than 13 tournaments, and it’s crazy to me that after three more, I don’t know when I will be a part of another golf tournament. 

Sunrise off the No. 7 hole
That being said, I am very excited about the future – moving to Austin, and beginning a new chapter of my life.  For now, I’m going to focus on the present.

Presently, I have decided that I am not a fan of the New Jersey road system.  Have you ever heard of no left turn lane?  NO LEFT TURNS…at all.  Well, this seems to be the norm in New Jersey.  Apparently they believe that if you make enough right turns, you will end up going left.  I understand that this is a true fact (if you keep turning right you will eventually end up going the same direction as you would if you made that initial left turn), but I would rather not accept this fact.  It takes way longer, and it just causes more frustration. 

The senator of New Jersey actually made an appearance at our qualifying round this last week, and I have decided that I will bring this left-turn issue up to him the next conversation we have.  Whenever that may be.

Despite the no left-turns and crazy thoroughfares, New Jersey was quite enjoyable.  We were able to work at a gorgeous course – Trump National Golf Course Colts Neck – with some incredible facilities.  The clubhouse and pro shop were almost disgustingly nice (the paper towels had the Trump National crest embellished on them, and the golf carts had white leather bucket seats), but they were infinitely comfortable and irresistible.  I would expect nothing less from Mr. Trump!  I hope one day I will be fortunate enough to enjoy these finer things again. 

Clubhouse from the front - Pro Shop is out of the photo
to the right
This tournament was quite unique, as it was set up similar to that of a collegiate golf tournament.  We had our qualifying round on Saturday at a different course, but then Monday and Tuesday we had our championship rounds.  It was set up with two shotgun rounds on Monday, and then a final round on Tuesday.  Yep, you read that correctly.  We played 36 holes of golf on Monday, and if you factor in the rain delay, we were working from 6 am to 10:30.  Crazy long day, but it went over smoothly for the most part.  Finishing post-round communications duties that night, my brain was working in overdrive, and I don’t remember the last time I was that focused or alert without caffeine.  It was weird and unnatural.  After 15 hours working, no one should be able to work that well.  Guess it’s all part of the job!

My experience at Colts Neck was pretty great though.  Upon arrival, there is a gatekeeper who will grant you access into the course.  We drive down a winding road, and the clubhouse appears out of nowhere.  It’s huge, with a large fountain in the middle of a roundabout heading into the parking lot.  There’s a pool to the left, hidden by well-maintained landscaping. 
Goldfish anyone?
Once we walked in, you can hear classical music playing.  There is a restaurant/bar to the left, and to the right was our headquarters.  We were in what is normally the Ladies Lounge, and as such, there were several couches and chairs for our use.  The chair we were able to use at our tables were so soft, with leather seats that felt like heaven on your bum.  We even had a few snacks available to us.  Apparently if you pour Goldfish into a classy glass jar, it turns into a wealthy snack.  Who would have thought?

The staff at Trump National definitely made us feel welcome.  They always brought us beverages, like pop, juices and water, and they would always stop by to check on us.

This week was stressful, long, and tiring, but it was very successful.  I am looking forward to the next few weeks.  Heading to Warsaw, Indiana this week (I have absolutely no idea where that is, so don’t ask), then to Colorado (I get to see some of my family there!!), and then I will end in Norman, Oklahoma at the University of Oklahoma home course.  These next weeks are going to fly by, so I’m going to make the best of my time before it’s over. 

Clubhouse from the back


One of the pristine holes

Fountain in the front of the clubhouse

Beautiful clock!

Sun peeking through after Monday's rain delay

Rolls Royce of golf carts...white leather bucket seats!

View from headquarters










No comments:

Post a Comment