Thursday, May 31, 2012

I'm baaaaaaack!!


Ok, so a lot has happened since I last wrote…in fact, about three weeks have gone by.  Sorry about that.  Didn’t mean to leave you all hanging!

Let’s see…about three weeks ago I was in Chicago.  About three weeks ago, all of us were unsure whether or not I would continue on with the AJGA.  Well, that’s not entirely true.  I was sworn to secrecy, but now I can proudly say that I am now a Communications Assistant intern for the summer of 2012 with the AJGA!  Yay!!

So, with that new position (it’s a step above the internship I was doing in the spring.  I am now acting as a trainer/teacher for the new interns.  I am still an intern, but I got a pay raise, and instead of being on just one team, I get to now fly around the country and assist every other team.)  It’s more of a teaching role than the actual hands-on role I had in the spring.  I help the helpers essentially. 

I miss my spring crew terribly, but the summer interns are all pretty hilarious.  Ben, one of my team members from the spring, was also asked back.  He is back in the same position, and this time he is on a team with six, yes, SIX girls.  Good luck with that one!

My good friend Ally was also asked back, but she ended up getting a job offer and another internship offer home in Delaware, so she decided to stay home.  I hope one day I can go and visit her!

Ok, so now onto the good stuff.  Here is my travel schedule.  Eat your heart out!

June 4-7                     Aspen, Colorado

June 11-14                 Las Vegas, Nevada

June 25-28                 Killington, Vermont

July 2-5                      Victor, New York

July 16-19                  Bloomingdale, Illinois

July 22-24                 Colts Neck, New Jersey

July 30-August 2       Warsaw, Indiana

August 6-9                 Longmont, Colorado

August 13-16             Norman, Oklahoma

August 20-23             Sun River, Oregon

Alright, so I know that Warsaw, Indiana isn’t exactly a destination location, but I can tell you that Aspen is probably the most beautiful place I have been in awhile.  And don’t even get me started on Las Vegas.  We have two tee morning tee times, with the last at 8:30.  What does this mean??  Well, we will be done before 6 pm and might have some time to go enjoy Sin City.  Just as long as we can get our butts up and be productive the next morning at 4:30 am.

Aspen, as I said before, is stunning.  I feel like I’m describing a supermodel.  Seriously though, it’s gorgeous.  The plane ride in was less than desirable though; we were on a small jet and the landing almost broke my back we hit so hard.  Basically, it’s about a half hour flight from Denver to Aspen, and upon your descent into Aspen, you feel as if you are heading straight down into the good ol’ ground.  I bet our angle of decent was about 45 to 50 degrees.  I might not be aviation savvy, but that seems pretty steep to me.  What do you think, Dad?

Once I knew I would live to see the next day, I was able to breath in the mountain air.  7,980 elevation mountain air.  I haven’t breathed in 7,000 plus air since I was in Flagstaff for Homecoming.  Wow, did I miss it.

Everything up here is clearer.  It looks like you’re looking at the world’s most advanced high-definition television.  (How bass-ackwards is the world that I am describing real life through television terms?)  The air is cleaner, the colors seem to be brighter, and all I want to do is breathe in the life that is here.  I can’t get enough of it!

I have to say, although I did enjoy driving all over the southeast this spring, it sure is nice to get to Aspen with a seven hour travel time as opposed to two and a half days.  The team that is meeting us in Aspen left Wednesday morning at 7 am and they still haven’t arrived.  That’s driving 7 to 10:30 everyday.  I flew in today, helped mark some of the course, went to dinner, explored the town, worked out, and am now writing in my blog.  A much more productive day!  And I’m not nearly as exhausted.

The summer is going to be much different than the spring.  For starters, there are usually three to four tournament rounds as opposed to two.  We’ll almost always have a Junior-Am, and in addition, a Qualifier round.  So, that adds up to five or six days every week that we are running the actual tournament.  It was usually just three in the spring.  Simply put, the spring was CAKE.

So, here’s to early mornings, late nights, great company, and lots of golf.  I’ll try to keep you all updated so, in my brother’s words, you’ll know where the heck I am in the country. 

Oh, and on a little side note, I was accepted to the University of Texas at Austin and will be enrolling for my Masters in Sport Management ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  : )

See what I mean? HIGH DEFINITION!

Another shot of heaven
Our hotel is really old-fashioned and apparently haunted.
My roommate doesn't arrive until tomorrow.  I'm all alone!!
They still have the old-fashioned keys and check-in desk.


So, they tell you to punch a black bear in the
face if you ever encounter one.  I befriended this
one instead.

He's made of nails...does that present a problem
for our friendship?


The world's most gigantic dog.  I think
I could have hopped on and caught a ride home.
Seriously, they said he weighed 175 pounds.






















No comments:

Post a Comment